Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mini Greehouses.... Yes, I know it's 30 Below!

Even though it is a frigid 30 below outside, that doesn't hinder my seed starting! This year I have decided to start onions from seed. Much cheaper of course than purchasing sets in the store, but it takes many more weeks to start them. So... because I don't have a greenhouse set up yet, I started the task of creating a simple mini greenhouse to get those onions going.

1. What I bought...

Clear under the bed tote... remember it must have a clear top to be effective. $5.97 at my local Walmart store.


2. Take a drill and put small holes in the top for air ventilation.

3. I lined mine with a bit of newspaper for more moisture hold.

4. line up toilet paper rolls in the box

5. Fill with organic seed starter mix $4.95 at Walmart.

6. Water the mix and let settle

7. Fill again with seed starter mix

8. Water again.

9. Put 2-3 seeds in each toilet paper roll

10. Lightly cover the seeds with mix.

11. Cover and set in sunny location

12. Check moisture level every couple days


These are the perfect size  mini greenhouses to be able to move around, set outside when the weather is nicer and take right to the garden when you are ready to plant! Also they are much more durable than the little Jiffy greenhouses you can purchase.  These can be used year after year, and they keep the cats from messing with your new seedlings!

All in all for the tote, seed starter and seeds (I did both yellow and white) my cost was $9.97! (I only used about half of my seed starter for this project) Of course I had been saving the toilet paper and paper towel rolls all year. Great way to get your seed pots for free! Put them right into the ground at time of planting. Some blogs I have read tell you to "close" the bottom, but I don't bother with that step.


Happy Wednesday all! ~A

0 comments:

Post a Comment